Monday, August 12, 2013

Week 6...What a Crazy Week


This week was a cool week. We had the chance to meet with Brother Monnich. I am not sure if I have mentioned him yet, but he is a less active member. He has been going through alot of problems with his health. We have been able to visit him a couple time since we have been here. We were able to talk with him for about an hour this week, and we talked about family history, and some other things. And we talked about different dates/events through out church history that were really cool. He talked about the day of healing, and about the saints that came over with Joseph Smith. When they were in Nauvoo on the banks of the river, many of them were very sick. Even Joseph Smith was very sick. And he went around giving blessing to the saints and healing them. At the end he look at me and said, "Do you believe you have the power to heal." and this kinda took me back, and I said to him that I believe I can heal if the spirit prompts me to do so. Then he said something else, but the whole discussion really had me thinking about what he had asked. We continued to talk with him, and he mentioned that he wanted to come back to church, but he was just getting to sick to make it. We asked him, "Brother Monnich do you believe that if you came to church, that the lord would help you make it through the meetings? And he said yes. My companion went on to say, " Brother Monnich, we can make you this promise that if you come to church the lord will help you get through it. It may be the hardest thing you have done, and you may not feel well at all, but the Lord will help you get through it." The spirit was strong, and we were quiet for a minute. We asked him if we could find him a ride to church would he come, and he said he would!
 
   Well we were trying to find out who would be the best person to give him a ride to church would be. We first called his home teacher, and he lived on the other side of the ward. His home teacher said he could, but said ask the Rotolo's( A new family that just moved into the ward this last week, and lived just down the street from Brother Monnich.) I went on splits that night and met with the Rotolo's, and they were clearly the perfect family to take Brother Monnich. They are so kind and were happy for the opportunity to serve. It was good to get to know them as well, and build those relationships with the ward members.
   Well we got a call on Sunday Morning at 7:30 from Brother Monnich, and he said that he was ready to go, and to have the Rotolo's call him when they left. He was ready 1 and 1/2 hours before church. I was so happy to know that he was coming. When I got to church I stood by the doors where most of the members came in from, and I saw him walk into the building. He looked so happy, and he said "it feels good to be back" that really hit me hard. I was so happy to be able to see him there.  He struggled  during sacrament meeting, but we said a quick prayer with him during it. And he made it through, he wasn't feeling up to staying for the rest of the meetings, but it was so good to see him there at church.  I was praying so hard that he would make it through, and in my mind I said, " Heavenly Father, please help Brother Monnich, he has shown his faith in coming, and we felt prompted to tell him that it wouldn't be easy, but he could make it through. After this and the prayer with him, he started to seem to be doing a little better. And he had the chance to partake of the sacrament. It just goes to show that our Heavenly Father really does care for each and everyone of us. And if we show our faith and put our trust in him, then he will bless us. He really helped Brother Monnich during that church meeting, and I was so happy that he made it through the meeting.
  This week we also said goodbye to our good friend Mark Chamberlin, he has been in Houston selling pest control, and he is heading home this week. We have been able to practice teach the lessons with him, and it is just so cool to see how much he has changed. We talked with him on Sunday, and he said he wants to go home and change his life around. He decided to start coming back to church when he came here to Houston. He is such a great example and he will do great.

I am so grateful that I am serving in the area that I am, and I know that we will find people to teach soon. I want to challenge everyone just like last week to find the time to go to the temple, and to do some family history. I know that as you do this, you will be blessed, and you will be able to feel the love of Jesus Christ more in your life. I testify of this, and I know it to be true. I look forward to hearing from the experiences that you have.
I hope all of y'all have a great week. 
 Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment